Monday, May 9, 2011

The Perfect Storm

Finally broke down and went to the doctor about my allergies/colds and general fatigue. I'm glad I went because I came home with pills and nasal spray to help with the allergies, antibiotics to help with the sinus infection, and a B-12 shot to help with the fatigue. Guess I was fighting at least three things. No wonder I was tired! Making a slow come back. I did go running the day after and I was able to run further without walking so that was some serious progress.

The weekend found me camping with the Scouts. Our troop is quite small right now, but we should be getting some more boys in as the year progresses. Out trip this time was to Antelope Island on the Great Salt Lake. I wrote a bit about Lake Bonneville a while back. The Great Salt Lake is all that is left of that former mega-lake. In ways the island is barren. Mostly desert vegetation, but it has a ton of wild life to observe. We saw bison, antelope (you would hope so!), deer, cranes, hawks, quail and a lot of song-birds. There is an extensive trail system on the island and may beautiful overlooks. The boys enjoy geocaching as well and there were plenty of those to be found. About the only thing that was really unpleasant were the biting gnats! There were swarms of them. The good thing is that they would not fly if there was much of a breeze and went away at night. So we were good about 75% of the time. I am sure it is a seasonal thing as well.

Not too long after sunrise

Where the deer and the buffalo play

Great views

Long, gnat-filled, walk to the lake



Great job everyone! EMZ ran for 24 hours straight on a treadmill and covered 100 miles. How awesome is that! She raised a ton of money for a great cause! Mike is busting out the miles and posting some great paces all at the same time. Todd ran a great race and is making great progress in reaching his goals. Bill paced a half-marathon over the weekend and was in seconds of hitting the pace goal. Mr. Incredible does it again! Rachel gets the boys out with her and they are getting in some good mileage as well. Gordon is putting in some good reps on the bike and the treadmill! The rest of you are doing well! Keep up the great work! Hang in there and I will too!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Bruce - following you via Alan & the June Boom - see that you are into Scouting, as am I - can't wait for my son to actually be a Boy and not a Cub anymore. Good luck this month with the challenge and congrats on the pounds you have lost!!!

    Staying MOtivated MO

    ReplyDelete