Monday, January 24, 2011

Recovery

I finally got to the point last week where I decided I needed to go in and get my back and hip checked out. The back went out around Christmas time when I shoveled some heavy wet snow. Usually I can bounce back within a few days if I tweak the back, but it just wasn’t healing up. The hip has been bugging me since my half-marathon tumble at the beginning of the race. So last Tuesday, I made a call to my doctor and much to my surprise got in the same day.

During the checkup, Todd (the p.a. in the office), found that my pelvis was tilted and gave me a couple of prescriptions, an appointment to get an x-ray and a referral for physical therapy and a chiropractor. By the time Friday had come and gone, I had already at one session with both and it was really helpful. I felt good enough to go snowshoeing on Saturday and had a great time with my son and brother.

Today I had another visit with the physical therapist. The timing was right. I woke up a sore this morning and the session really helped. I am working on building up those areas which have gotten weakened by the injuries. Another thing that I have learned is it is really important to keep up the core exercises even if you are in training. I stopped doing my core exercises when I was putting in the extra mileage. I need to make sure that it is always part of my routine. Thanks to the therapy, I have learned even some more exercises to help strengthen the core and the other areas that are weak. I need to hold off running maybe a week or two more. We’ll see how it goes. I do have the green light to do ab training and walking and elliptical so I can keep some level of fitness going. I just need to be patient, do what I can now, and I will be back in the saddle in a couple of weeks.

Shout outs to Gordon and Corey! They both are loving snowshoeing and I am too. I am jealous of you guys from the warmer climates at times, but we aren’t without our unique fun during the cold weather. Todd is doing great on his mileage as he is starting back up. Hillary has kept up her losing weight. Chris has been keeping after it with her farm work. Toughest workout you can get by my book! Sarah, Mike, Rachel and Troy have been doing great running and having regular Bob Harper torture sessions. 10K this summer! Speaking of 10K, CLYDEEEE!!!!!!! Well done my friend. A Clysdale running a 1:08!!!! Awesome!!!! Proud of Emily too! She has been very consistent on working on most everyday! Barbara is the rock in our home! She has been very faithful in her working out for years and it shows! Martha has been sticking to her guns and is doing great! Hang in there everyone and I will too!

1 comment:

  1. Slowly catching up after a blogging absence. Thanks for the shout-out on my 10k.

    So glad to read that you are recovering well and running again. Way to take it slow and steady with the core workouts!

    ReplyDelete