Monday, July 16, 2012

Amethyst Lake


Some of my out of town kids and their families arrived this week.  July will prove to be a fun and busy month. One of our annual traditions has been to do a hike in the Uintah mountains.  This mountain range is unique in many ways, but the most interesting thing about them is that they are the only mountain range in the United States that run east to west.  I've written about several of my hikes in the Uintahs in the past.
I took Thursday off to go hiking with one of my daughters, Rachel, and her husband Troy.  Much to my surprise, my wife joined in on the hike as well.


We hiked to a beautiful lake called Amethyst.  The hike wasn't excessively hard, but it was over six miles one way and it had a good climb for almost half a mile.  It was worth it though as we hiked through pines and meadows to reach the lake.  Even the steep section was worth it due to the waterfalls that were right along the trail.

We got up to the lake around noon.  As the sun climbed in the sky, we were all getting warmer, but not long after we approached the lake it rained pretty good and cooled things way down.  We even had a bit of hail that caused us to find brief shelter underneath some trees.

My son-in-law packed his fly rod and had a great day of fishing.  Amethyst Lake itself didn't yield him any fish, but the water was choppy.  On the way back, my wife and I decided to stick to the trail and my daughter and son-in-law did a bit of lake hopping to try fishing at other lakes.  They were glad they did as the fishing picked up.   We were glad that we stuck to the trail when they told us of the steep boulder hopping they had to do to get from lake to lake.
We ended up hiking close to 13 miles for the day.  It made for a long day, but we were all glad we went.

Last week I told you about another son-in-law who ran the Freedom Festival 10K with my daughter and I without training and beat us both.  Rumor has it he was so sore the next day that he said never again!  My daughter and I already have talked about future races coming up!  :)


I logged 7 days out of 7 this week.  It is probably one of my best weight management tools.  I need to do this for 2 months.  So far so good.

Tuesday is the second BGoody 10K race with the family.  I think there will be five or six of us running this year.  More to come.

Hang in there and I will too.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a beautiful hike. Nothing like beautiful mountains and lakes. How fun that so many members of your family will be running with you on Tuesday (or did run!).

    Tracking is the key to my success. I sometimes miss a day or so, but not often. It is the one way to keep me accountable to myself.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete