Monday, August 9, 2010

Timp!

Weekly Stats
Current: 192.8
Weekly Loss: 0
To Go: 17.8
Total 132.2

After last week great loss, I am grateful to have broken even. It took a lot of work to break even, more than I had even planned on.

Last week, my daughter and here family was in town. We had a great time being with them and it was a good reminder of what is important in life! They had an early flight home on Saturday, so I decided to go on a hike after I dropped them off. Originally I planned on driving down to Boulder and hiking Calf Creek. But as I thought about it, it would take quite a bit of driving to get there and back and I thought I might as well spend the time hiking instead. I thought it would be fun to hike on the Timpanookee trail and see how it was, but by the time I got there at 7am on Saturday, the trail head was already full and people were parking clear up the road. I decided to hike on the Aspen Grove trail instead. I got there about 8 and got the last spot at that trail head. I made it to Emerald Lake about 11 and was hungry enough for lunch so I sat down behind the TERT shack and looked up and saw the shed at the top of Timp. I still felt like I had a lot of energy to make it up in spite of the steep climb up the Aspen Grove trail, so off I headed for the summit. I was still game when I made it to the saddle, so I called home and said I would be later than I thought getting home and up I went. It took me about 5 1/2 hours to make it to the top, but I did it! That makes two of my three summit goals. The only one left now is King's Peak next year. I still plan on hiking up the Timpanookee Trail in September. It will be interesting to see how it compares to the Aspen Grove trail. It is supposed to be easier. We'll see.

The last time I hiked Timp, I was much younger and it seems like it took me about 12 hours to complete. I remember getting cramps in my thighs as I hiked. Not this time! I felt pretty good in spite of it being steep. I made it in about 10 hours so I am happy with the time as well! By coincidence, my neighbor Bill H, ran to the top via the Timpanookee Trail in a little under 2 hours and made it back down in about an hour! Holy cow! I think those days have passed me by. It was all I could do to hike it let alone trail run! Great job Bill!

Great job to the rest of you as well! Hang in there and I will too!

5 comments:

  1. That is awesome! I wish I could have been there with you. I will look forward to September!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My original intent was to just hike for a few hours, but I guess I got summit fever! September will be fun! I am still looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I wondered as we were flying home where you were on Timp. That would be fun to do one of these summers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come back in September and you and jr. can hike it with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So who is carrying me while I carry jr?

    ReplyDelete