Monday, August 23, 2010

20 miler

Weekly Stats
Current: 203.8
Weekly Gain: 4.4
To Go: 28.8
Total 121.2

First the bad news. Still not understanding this weight gain over the past two weeks. I am up 11 lbs! I haven't backed off of my workouts at all, as a matter of fact, I have really been doing a lot lately. I haven't been perfect on eating, but I know that I haven't consumed enough extra calories to gain 11 lbs in so short a time. I just need to be patient, make sure I am eating right, get good rest and keep up the exercising and it will come back around. Saturday was an endurance hike, maybe the body is all inflamed from the near death experience! Like I said, I just need to be patient and things will come back around.

As I have mentioned before, I am a scoutmaster and we have been working hard on the hiking merit badge. Last month, we completed our set of five, ten mile hikes. Saturday, we were able to all go on the last big hike of 20 miles. We all met at my house at 6am, wiped the sleep from our eyes, and headed off to Vivian Park. We went via Riverwoods, Will's Pit Stop and then doubled back to Provo Canyon. Nine hours later, we had hiked the scouts 20 miles and I gratefully made it back home. I was tired, but the biggest problem for me was blisters. I had four big ones by the time we were done. It's interesting because I had used the same shoes and socks to hike Timp a couple of weeks back and made it 14 miles without a blister, but I guess this hiking was a lot harder on my feet for some reason. Luckily, I recovered enough to get my training in this morning.

Speaking of my training, today started my official training for a half marathon at the end of August. I have been thinking about doing one and as I looked at training schedules, I am right on track with my current weekly mileage to be ready by then. I will have to get registered for it before to long. My daughter Sarah and her husband Mike are in town for the week. Mike went on the run with me this morning. I don't often train with someone else, so it was nice to have someone come with me. My blisters and generally being beat of from Saturday didn't hinder me too much and I was able to train how I wanted for the 3.5 miles this morning.

Shout outs to Bill and Todd who ran the Hobble Creek Half Marathon on Saturday. Great job to all the scouts and Alan T. who did the 20 miler and earned their hiking merit badge. Great job Phil in working out this week! Hillary! Great weight loss! Keep up the good work! Mike and Sarah continue to work out and are keeping in great shape. Hang in there and I will too!

2 comments:

  1. Bruce - is it possible that you're just gaining more muscle mass? I don't see how ANYONE could be gaining with all the work you're doing. I'm no expert when it comes to exercise, but I know my brother has experienced a lot of the same issues in his weight loss journey. He's been working at a summer camp for the past eight weeks, so he hasn't updated as often, but I think what you're experiencing is completely normal. Just don't lose the motivation - you're doing great!

    www.fatmansmarathon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement Melissa! I haven't lost hope yet for sure. I am trying to be realistic and have been lucky up to this point to not have had any significant gains. The middle of last week I had lost most of the gain, but this morning I was way up again. It could be that doing stuff like the 20 miler on Saturday is just stressing my body a little too much and while part may be muscle gain, it could just be inflammation and water retention as a result. I just need to hang in there. Thanks for the link to your brothers blog. He has made some great progress as well!

    ReplyDelete