Monday, February 21, 2011

Running for the Gold

Another great training week! I was able to put in the required miles for my 5K training and I felt good for the most part. My hips still need a bit of strengthening, but all in all I was happy with the results. I have discovered the enormous benefits of stretching as well. It is helping me recover and prevent further injuries. I don't think I would be making as good of progress with out it.

On Saturday, Corey and I went out for another adventure. We were both going to rent cross-country skies and give it a go, but they didn't have any boots in his size. I decided to go ahead and rent a pair and let him use my snowshoes. It turned out not to be the best conditions for cross-country. I got a hard work out, but the it was snowing a wet snow and the skis were sticking. Not much glide action going in, even down hill. I still did manage to fall down on my rear a couple of times. Not a big fan of that! I may try it again someday, but not for a while. Corey on the other hand is hoping to rent this weekend. I guess seeing his old man struggle didn't disinterest him in trying.

I have been looking at some DVD's to use while running on the treadmill. Some have you following behind a runner through diverse locations. They do look fun, but I am not ready to lay down some coin for that yet. We have several videos that I thought might give a similar effect. This morning, I put in the highlights of the 2002 Winter Olympics that were held in Salt Lake City. It was fun and inspiring to see the athletes performing at their best. It brought back to mind Jim Shay who's father and grandfather had competed in the Olympics before him. He dedicated his performance to his grandfather who passed away a short time before. Remember him pulling out the picture of his grandfather from his helmet after each of his runs? It made the time go by quickly and was very inspiring. The only problem was I got a little too distracted once and misstepped and did a very awkward 90 degree bobble for which the judges deducted 10 points off my run costing me a medal. Maybe next Olympics.

Mark A., great job on the increase in miles and pace! Well done! Rachel, Sarah and Mike! You guys are awesome! Keep up the great training! Looking forward to watching you guys smoke me in the 10K. Bill, way to go on the early morning training! Welcome to my world. Running in a haze! S1, thanks for your consistency. You are an inspiration. The rest of you, keep up the good work! Hang in there and I will too!

2 comments:

  1. It is so great to hear about your progress and success thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made a great point about stretching. I don't stretch much at all, but I think I need to start. Thanks for the pointer.

    ReplyDelete