Monday, January 16, 2012

I Can't

Last March, I read a post by Big Daddy Diesel how he can get motivated by someone telling him that he can't do something.  I think I have some of that in me as well.  But I think that there is one person that can tell you that you can't do something that has a big effect on you.  That person is you!

When you tell yourself you can't do something.  Like in "I can't do _____ because ______.", we too often listen.  Maybe you've told yourself you can't do something because you are too old, too heavy, too ...., you get the point.  Too often we limit ourselves because we believe what we tell ourselves.  I am not advocating doing something that is unwise or unhealthy for us, but too often the excuses we give ourselves are given too much credibility.

Too old?

Photo by Andrew McClanahan, PhotoRun

Photo by Andrew McClanahan, PhotoRun 

Ed Whitlock finished the Toronto Waterfront Marathon in 3:15:51!  He set a record for an 80 year old.  Pretty amazing.

Last year a 100 year old completed a marathon!  Age isn't necessarily a limiter.

Too Tired?

Fibromyalga can cause your muscles and joints extreme pain.  It can keep you up at night dealing with the issues.  Jo Nodell found that exercise helps her.  It may be hard for the first 30 minutes, but by the time she has done an hour, she feels better as she warms up her muscles.  The pain is less severe and her attitude is lifted.  She even walked a half marathon in about three and a ahlf hours!  Not a bad time for walking!

http://www.realage.com/walking/fibromyalgia-exercise

Too Big?

Just watch Biggest Loser to debunk that myth.  It's amazing how people transform in a manner of a few weeks. 

 Bob "Motivating" a Contestant (nbc.com/thebiggestloser)

I'm not advocating that you try to lose 150 lbs in 12 weeks.  I'm not saying it doesn't matter what your doctor says, you should go out and run a marathon.  I'm not telling you to go run some 800 meter intervals.  What I am telling you is to not limit yourself by telling yourself what you can or can't do.  Most times, you don't know until you try (and try and try).

Hang in there and I will too!

3 comments:

  1. Another thought provoking post, Bruce. I, too, am one of those people who gets motivated when people say "You can't." We can do much more than we ever think we can, but the first step is just doing it,. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I TOTALLY agree! It's the voices in our heads that give us the most and/or the least motivation. We need to make sure we are focusing on being our best supporter.

    Thanks....I needed this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bruce, very inspiring. Speaking of...I just started reading An Accidental Athlete about a man who started running at age 43 after years of neglecting his body. He ran a marathon, too. It can be done!

    ReplyDelete